Our data stored on the Hard Drive is precious than any crystal that is priced in real money. But, the personal data is invaluable and cannot be traded with money. Just like real money, we have to store the personal data in lockers, not the physical lockers but the virtual lockers. When you store the personal data or any other important data on the hard drive, it safe for a limited time. When someone gets access to your computer or the external hard drive, he can see and steal the data, which is a dangerous thing for your social identity and other purposes. Well, it is highly advised to Lock Hard Drive with the password, so that no other person can open the hard Disk and steal your data. Recently, we also fixed one of the common errors known as Windows Not Genuine.
There are many software programs to help you make your hard drive or storage device safer with a password. But, what will you do if you don’t believe on any third-party software to secure your hard drive? Well, you can lock hard drive without any software in Windows and Other operating systems. In this post, I am going to share a step-by-step tutorial on How to Lock Hard Drive without any software program. You can lock the Hard Drive, System Partitions, USB Storage devices and other storage devices with ease by following the methods shared in this post. Here are the methods to Lock Hard Drive without any Software.
How to Lock Hard Drive without Any Software
Method #1 – Using BitLocker on Windows
The BitLocker is an inbuilt tool in Windows Operating systems that helps you to lock hard drives with passwords in Windows. The BitLocker is a pretty efficient Hard Drive Security software that comes handy when you don’t believe in third-party software programs to lock the hard drive. The BitLocker tool is provided by Microsoft to help users to lock the system partitions and USB storage devices. If you have an External Hard Disk to lock, then make use of BitLocker tool in Windows. Here is how you can use BitLocker to Lock Hard Drive without any third-party Software in Windows.
- First of all, connect your External Hard Disk or any other USB storage device to the computer.
- Once connected, you’ll see that device in the Windows Explorer. Open the Windows Explorer by Press “Windows + E” key combination on your Keyboard.
- In Windows Explorer, Right-Click on the USB Drive or Hard Drive you’ve connected to the computer and click on “Turn on BitLocker“.
- Now, you’ll see the BitLocker window. In the Window, you’ll have to set the unlocking options. Input the password that you want to set for unlocking the hard drive you are going to lock and click “Next“.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the entire process. Now, you’ve successfully Encrypted the Hard Drive without using any third-party software program.
- Whenever you try to open the Locked hard Disk with BitLocker, it’ll be going to ask you the password you set during the setup. Without the password, the Hard Disk is not going to unlock.
So, this is how you can use the BitLocker on Windows to Lock external hard Drive to protect your important data.
If you want to use Android apps on your Android phone, then you should try out these Android emulators.
Method #2 – Lock Hard Drive in Linux Ubuntu
The Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distribution, that is famous for it’s flexibility and features. Just like the BitLocker in Windows, the Linux Ubuntu comes with the Encryption tool for External Storage devices. The tool is Gnome Disk Utility tool. Some versions of this distro have the tool and some may not have this tool. If you do not have this tool, you’ll have to download it from the Repositories. As this is the System tool, we are not violating the condition of Locking Hard Drive in Ubuntu without any software. some people may not have the Gnome Disk Utility on their computer so they can install it from the Official Ubuntu repository.
Here is the step by step procedure to use Gnome Disk Utility in Linux Ubuntu within a minute.
- Open the Terminal in Linux Ubuntu by pressing “Ctrl + T” key combination on your keyboard. In the terminal, type “gnome-disk-utility” and press ENTER.
- If you have the Gnome Disk Utility tool installed on the computer, then you’ll see it opened on your desktop. If not, then you have to install it using the terminal.
- Type “Sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility cryptsetup” without quotes in the terminal and press ENTER. When prompted, enter the Sudo password and let the Terminal install the utility for you. Once installed, open it.
- In the Gnome Disk Utility, you’ll see the connected storage devices and the partitions. Select the Hard Disk or external storage device that you want to lock.
- Now, click on the Gear icon located below the Disk drive you’ve selected and click on the “Format Partition“.
- In the Format window, you’ll see many options to format the drive. Choose the options “Don’t overwrite existing Data” and “Encrypted, Compatible with Linux System“.
- Press Next and enter the password which you want to set to unlock the hard drive and access your data later.
- Now, give your partition a name and assign a drive letter. Also, the Gnome Disk Utility tool will ask you to verify the password for locking the drive.
- Now, Format the drive and wait while the process completes within few minutes.
Please note that the entire process will format the hard drive and will erase all your data stored on the hard drive you are going to lock. So, before locking hard drive without any software in Linux, make sure you take a backup of all your data.
Also, the Locked Hard Drive will only work when connected to a Linux system. The Linux will format and encrypt the Hard drive in the Linux supported file format, which will not work on any other operating system like Windows and MacOS. So, make sure you are using the Linux all time and in need of the locked hard drive, you have Linux system nearby to unlock it and access the data.
Final Words | How to Lock Hard Drive Without any Software?
Protecting your personal data stored in any form of the external storage device is very important nowadays. If the portable storage device goes in the wrong hand, then there is the risk of data theft, which may cost you a lot. So, locking the hard drive with native system tools provided by the OS developers is a good way. You can lock the hard drives and save your data from data theft.
I hope you learned how to lock hard drive or USB Storage device withour using any software program. We’ve covered the tutorials to lock the hard drive for Windows and Linux users. If you have any doubts or facing any issues while following these methods, then please make a comment down below.