You’ll see virus and malware infecting your system if you open the unknown email attachments, plug-in the USB Drive or external hard drive without having the Antivirus software installed or even by download the content from Internet. Well, there are many ways you can get the virus programs on your Windows computer. The most common virus found in Windows is the Shortcut virus. This virus mainly enters in your computer when you plug in the external USB storage device. This virus creates the Shortcuts of almost every file that is stored on your PC, making the use of computer very annoying. At the first glance, the virus does not look like a harmful one, but they’ll steal your data or even destroy the important files if not removed. So, how to remove shortcut virus in Windows?
If your PC is infected with the Shortcut virus, then you should immediately remove it or it’ll not be good for your computer. In this post, I am going to share the multiple ways, by which you can remove the Shortcut Virus in Windows within few minutes. If you follow all the methods mentioned in this post, then you’ll be able to remove the shortcut virus in Windows.
How to Remove Shortcut Virus from Windows Computer?
Method #1 – Remove Shortcut Virus with Command Prompt
If the shortcut virus has infected your USB thumb drive or any other partition on your computer, then using the Command Prompt is one of the best ways to remove shortcut virus. I used this method before on my USB Thumb drive and can say it is effective. Here is the tutorial on how to remove shortcut virus with the help of command prompt.
- First of all, connect the infected USB Thumb drive to your computer and recognize it’s drive letter.
- Now, open the Search Menu and search for the “cmd“. Once you see the Command Prompt in the search list, right-click on it and choose the option “Run As Administrator“.
- It’ll ask you for Administrative Privileges. Approve the privileges, and the command prompt will open in the Admin mode.
- In the command prompt, type the following commands one by one and press ENTER. Make sure you enter these commands without the Quotation marks.
attrib -s -r -h *.* /s /d /l
- Here, the “G” is the drive letter of the USB Drive or the Hard Disk partition. You can add the Hard Disk partition drive letter to clean the particular partition and remove the shortcut virus.
- So, this is how you use the Command prompt in Administrative mode
Method #2 – Remove Shortcut Virus with Registry Editor
If you are interested in the advanced process to remove the Shortcut virus from Windows computers, then you should try this method. In this way, we are making the use of Registry Editor in Windows to remove the shortcut virus. This is the little-complicated method for a newbie, so make sure you have knowledge in handling the technical part in computers before proceeding with this process.
- First of all, open the Registry Editor. To open the Registry editor, press “Windows + R” key combination on the keyboard to open the RUN window. In the Window, type “Regedit” and press ENTER.
- Now, you have the Registry Editor window open on your Desktop. In the Registry editor, navigate to the following path.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run
- In the specified path, you should not see any registry entry except the “Default” entry. But, if you anything absurd, any Registry Entry which does not define anything and looks weird, then this is the Entry of the Shortcut virus.
- If you find any strange entries, then Right click on it and Delete it. Clear all the suspicious entries from the registry editor.
- Now, exit from the Registry editor and open RUN window by pressing “Windows + R” key combination on your keyboard.
- In the RUN Window, type “msconfig” (without quotes) and press ENTER. In the System Configuration window, find and open the “Startup” tab.
- In the Startup tab, uncheck all the programs that’ll run on the System Startup. Leave the Antivirus program as it is and then Reboot your computer.
- Once restarted, the Windows will clean the Shortcut virus from your computer.
This is the complicated method and you should not try to follow this if you are not an advanced computer user.
Method #3 – Using Third-Party Tools
There are many third party antivirus software programs available for protecting the computer from Shortcut virus programs. but, if the infection is severe, then you may have to use the Shortcut Virus remover tools. Using the Shortcut Virus Remover tools is the simplest way for cleaning and removing the shortcut virus from your PC. You just download any of these Third-party shortcut virus remover tools and then run them to scan and delete the virus from your PC. It is that simple. Here are some of the best tools that’ll help you to Remove Shortcut virus from a computer quickly.
- RKill is one of the popular Malware cleaning tools, that’ll remove any known malware from your computer. It’ll clean the Shortcut Virus from the infected PC. You can download and Run this tool from this link to remove the shortcut virus from your computer.
- HFV or the Hidden Folder Virus Remover tools is another fantastic tool to remove the Shortcut virus from your computer. Just download this tool from the official site and install it on your computer. Now, run the tool and scan your computer for the shortcut virus program that has infected your computer. Once found, the tool will do all the job to remove that annoying virus from your PC.
- Malwarebytes is another fantastic Anti-Malware program, that works very well for removing any kind of malware programs from your PC. You can use the Malwarebytes program to eliminate the Shortcut virus from your computer, which is very much annoying.
Prevent Shortcut Virus from Entering in your Computer Again
The shortcut Virus is pretty annoying threat, that creates shortcut of almost every file and tries to steal data from your computer. It is very dangerous for your personal information that is stored in computer. Once your removed the shortcut virus from your computer, it’s another challenge not let that virus to enter into your system again.
To prevent the virus infections, make sure you have a good Antivirus software program installed on your system. A good antivirus and antimalware program helps us to keep all the threats away from our computer.
Also, make sure you do not download any software program from unknown sources. Most of the times, such sources are infected with the lots of virus and malware, so there are chances that they will enter on your PC with the downloaded files.
Final Words | Remove Shortcut Virus from Windows PC
So, this is how you can remove the shortcut virus from your Windows PC. The virus is pretty much rigid and does not easily get removed from your computer. It is highly advised for you to install a Good Antivirus and Antimalware program to make your computer safe and secure from such annoying virus programs. Also, make sure scan the external USB storage devices with antivirus software programs before copying or transferring data into your computer.