The Microsoft is the market leader in Operating Systems industry. There are millions of computers running on the Microsoft’s Windows Operating system. The Windows is known as one of the best computer operating systems for home and office use. But, the Windows is known for one bad thing. It is good at throwing random errors anytime while using the computers. Well, we’ve encountered strange errors like Taskbar not working, Start Menu not working and what not. Now, we’ve encountered another strange error in my laptop. I am facing “This copy of Windows is Not Genuine” error. I am using the Genuine Copy of Windows 10 on a Laptop, which is dual booted with the Windows 7. I have a Machine license of the Windows 10 and physical license of the Windows 7. Maybe the dual-booting is messing with the license verification system of the Windows. Recently, we have also shared a tutorial on how to get WifiKill on PC.
So, I had to use some tricks to fix this copy of Windows is not genuine error. I collected the information about the methods to solve this error, which is peculiar to the Windows 7 computers only and not for other operating system versions. This is the standard error to face when you are using the pirated version of the Windows 7. Well, using the Pirate Version of any operating system is not recommended at all due to security issues. But due to some unavoidable circumstances you are using the pirated version and seeing This copy of Windows is not a genuine error, then you should follow the methods I am going to share in this post.
Before following the methods I am sharing in this post, take a note that these methods will not:
- Convert Non-Genuine Windows Version in Genuine One
- Provide you access to the Windows Updates.
These methods will only help you to:
- Remove the “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Error” from your Desktop.
- Remove the Black Desktop Background.
- Will help you use Windows without showing annoying “This Copy is Not Genuine” popup.
How to Fix This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error
- First of all, open the Start menu and search for the Command Prompt. We have to open the Command Prompt in Administrative Mode. To do this, right-click on the Command Prompt icon in Start Menu and Select “Run As Administrator.” Give it administrative rights when asked.
- Now, you have opened the Command Prompt in Administrative mode. Type “SLMGR -REARM” in the Command Prompt and press ENTER. Now, you can see the pop-up window with “Command Completed Successfully.”
- Once you see the pop-up window with success message, Restart your computer to see if This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine Error is fixed or not. If not, then retry the same method with code “SLMGR /REARM” command. The SLMGR is the license management tool of the Windows. It keeps an eye on the License of the Windows Installation. When you use the REARM command, the tool resets the status of the Windows License.
Notes – If you are facing issues with following this method, then make sure:
- You have correctly entered the Command. There is a Space after “SLMGR” in both the commands.
- You are running the Command Prompt in Administrative mode. You’ll not be able to run this command in normal mode.
The reason behind This copy of Windows is Not Genuine Error is the Windows Updates. There is one update, which makes this error pop out on your desktop. If you are willing to remove the error, then you should uninstall an update file, which is installed in the system. The Update (KB971033) is the main culprit behind this error. If you uninstall the Update KB971033, then you can quickly fix This Copy of Windows is not genuine error within minutes. Here is the step-by-step procedure to Uninstall update KB971033 from your system.
- First of all, open the Control Panel from the Start Menu. In Windows 7, the Control Panel is located on the Right side of the Start Menu. You can manually search it from the Search box if you want.
- In the Control Panel, Find and open the “System and Security.” Open the “Windows Updates” which is in the System and Security option.
- Now, on the Left side, you’ll see the “View Installed Updates” option. Click on it, and it’ll show you all of the installed updates in your system.
- Find the Update KB971033 in the list of installed updates and Right click on it. After right clicking, uninstall the Update.
- You’re Almost There. Now, Restart your computer to see if This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error is fixed or not.
Notes – If you are facing any problems while following this method, then check this points.
- If there is no Update KB971033 installed on your system, then you can Skip this step. You can try other methods mentioned in this post to fix the error.
- Do not uninstall any other update from your system.
If you are using the Pirated Version of the Windows, then you’ll not be able to install the recommended updates on your system. The Windows will automatically install the updates, which are necessary to track the user record and license status. If you follow any of the mentioned methods in this post and successfully fix This copy of Windows is not a genuine error, then there are chances that the error may pop up again due to the Windows Updates. To make sure you don’t get the same error again, just Turn off Windows Updates. Follow these steps to Turn OFF the Windows Updates and keep this error away from popping up on your system again.
- First of all, open the RUN window by Pressing “Windows Key + R” key combination on your Desktop.
- In the Text field, type “Services.msc” and press ENTER. It’ll open the Windows Services Windows.
- In the Services Window, search for the “Windows Updates” service. Most of the services are listed in the Alphabetical order. So, scroll down to find the Windows Updates service.
- Once you find the Windows Update service, Double Click on it. It’ll open the “Properties” window of the Service.
- In the properties, Stop the service by Clicking “Stop” in the Service Status field.
- Now, Choose “Disabled” in the Startup type drop-down menu and Save.
Now, you’ve successfully stopped the Windows Updates service from running anymore. It’ll help you to retain the changes you made in the system.
This method is a pretty overlooked way to fix this copy of windows is not genuine error. This is the best way to repair the error permanently within minutes. Here is the exact procedure to follow.
- First of all, open the RUN window by pressing “Windows Key + R” key combination on your keyboard.
- In the Run Window, type “rsop.msc” and press ENTER. It’ll work only if you are on Windows 7 OS and not on others.
- In the RSOP Window, find the drop down menu on the left side. Follow this path “Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services” and find the “Plug and Play” service on the list.
- Now, Right click on the “Plug and Play” service and choose the “Automatic” in the Startup options.
- Just Restart your computer now, and you’ll see that This copy of Windows is not a genuine error is fixed.
Final Words | This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine Fix
These are all of the methods that will help you to remove Windows Installation is not a Genuine label from your Windows 7 system. These are the working methods to fix this copy of windows is not a genuine error in Windows 7. Well, this error pops up when you have the pirated version of Windows operating system. It is not recommended to use the Pirated Version of Windows on your computer if you care about the security of your data.
If you are using the Pirated Version due to unavoidable circumstances, then these methods will help you to remove This copy of Windows is not a Genuine label from the desktop. If you can, reactivate the Windows by purchasing the legal license from Microsoft website or any third party website for lower price.